Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hospital Night #1

I've never had a stay in the  hospital before. The most intense medical experience was getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I would say that I was dreading it, but I wasn't. I felt safe and taken care of. I think that I would have been such a wreck if I were to go back home, knowing anything could go wrong at any time, and I'd have to run to the ER. I also love staying in hotels, so I tried to look at it like that. So sad, I know.

The first few hours were seriously chaotic. They put me in a little tiny triage room (I thought this was my actual room at first) and hooked me up to an automatic blood pressure machine, took more blood of course, and Matt ran to get me some dinner, since I couldn't eat the whole next day.

The worst pain so far - having those little seaweed lamanaria sticks inserted into my cervix to begin dilation. Twelve of them! I'd rather have another amnio! Matt held my hand again and I focused on the ceiling sprinklers again. They gave me some medicine to start inducing contractions as well.

My family and Matt's family came to visit! We all squeezed into the little room, I'm sure the nurses were thrilled, but I was so happy to see everyone. After everyone left, we just waited for my real room. Whew.

It was a long night of watching TV, requesting more and more blankets because I was beyond freezing for some reason, and a steady stream of percocets, because the contractions sucked. The nurses were so amazing though. I had a ton, and since I was having my vitals checked every hour or so, we got to be fast friends. Two nurses actually went through the same thing I was going through and they went on to have beautiful babies. It was nice to know I wasn't alone. I think they felt for me because I was in the maternity wing but wouldn't be leaving with a new baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respect your views, please respect mine and others! Unkind or malicious comments will be deleted.