Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The NIPT test, and Gestational Hypertension

With the Down Syndrome weighing on my mind for a few days, I really wasn't sure if I wanted further testing. I wanted to be one of those moms that embrace my baby and all the obstacles I might face in the future. Quality of life is important, but I've done so much research on the subject that by this point, I was feeling okay with it. On the other hand, I was also feeling pretty optimistic, since so many women had gotten the same blood test result and their baby was perfectly healthy.

I went to the OB about 4 days after I spoke to the genetic counselor, and talked to her about the results. She mentioned the NIPT (Non-invasive Perinatal Test), and said that if I wanted to, she could do that test right now. She warned me that it was still a screening, but a much more accurate screen for Down Syndrome. It's just a blood test, so I figured why not? The bonus is that we would find out the sex! I think I probably agreed to the test more for that reason anyway.

At this same visit, the nurse noticed my blood pressure was a little high. This was a worry to my OB because it had been totally normal at the previous visits. I've never had high blood pressure myself, but my mom and sister do, so I figured maybe it was just my time. However, since I was in the second trimester, it's a concern... your blood pressure usually drops in the second trimester. I was prescribed Labetatol, which is a blood pressure medicine that slows your heart rate. I also had to start taking my blood pressure at home, to see if the dosage helped. So I began my meds that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respect your views, please respect mine and others! Unkind or malicious comments will be deleted.