Friday, July 10, 2015

Later that Tuesday...

My OB called me a little later in the day on Tuesday, after I spoke to the doctor and the genetic counselor. She asked me if I had any thoughts on what I wanted to do next, after all the info I'd been given. I asked her all the possible questions I could.

Could the early amnio results be wrong? It's not likely, due to all the results we've previously gotten. The high HGC, the high AFP, the abnormal ultrasound, the hypertension I was having, and the FSH results. 

Why would the NIPT not have caught this major chromosomal abnormality? Why did that test say everything was fine? The NIPT really only looks for the extra specific chromosomes, such as the 21st chromosome (Down Syndrome).

I'm sure there was more, it was a long day. She told me that she was referring me to a hospital in Philadelphia, where they would do pregnancy terminations. There was a doctor there that she wanted me to meet with and get evaluated, and she would give me a better idea of what my options really were.

I called her office around lunchtime to make an appointment. Her nurse coordinator was the sweetest woman ever, and really took the time to explain everything to me, offered to listen, and talked about her own experiences with loss. She made an appointment for me to come in that Friday at noon, so I could meet with the doctor. I had all my billions of doctors fax her over all my records so far, so we could go over them Friday.

She called me again later that night, around 7 pm. She told me that the doctor looked over my records that had been faxed, and she wasn't comfortable waiting until Friday to see me. The hypertension was a serious reg flag for preeclampsia, and the situation could really take a turn for the worse really quickly. She urged me to come in the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I respect your views, please respect mine and others! Unkind or malicious comments will be deleted.